Caring for Your New Piercing
Follow these simple steps to get the most from your piercing:
- Leave your new piercing in for at least 3-6 months before changing your jewelry. (Threading on new jewelry can seriously damage the piercing). Cartilage and certain areas may take up to 8-12 months to fully heal!
- Make sure bedding, pillowcases and anything else coming in contact with the piercing (phones, headbands, hats, etc.) is clean, as bacteria can easily be transferred to your piercing)
- Avoid swimming in ponds, lakes, oceans or pools for at least 6-8 weeks.
- Do not touch, play with, or pick at your piercing during the healing process. Do not let anyone else touch, play with, or get their bodily fluids into your piercing. (This is VERY important as it can cause serious infection and irritation).
- In the shower, allow the water to hit above your piercing and run over it. Let any ‘crusties’ (scabs) fall off naturally when they are soft. (NO PICKING!)
- Rinse very last before getting out of the shower so that no shampoo, conditioner, or soap residue is left behind. – Do not cover your new piercing in make-up, creams, oils, bandages or ointments of any kind. You want the piercing to be able to breathe.
- Avoid having your piercing bumped, banged, pulled, etc. as it can cause damage.
- We DO NOT suggest any alcohol, peroxide, polysporin or any other ointments to be used as aftercare. These things can also damage your piercing and inhibit healing.
- Always wash your hands thoroughly before cleaning or changing your piercing.
- Always clean new jewelry before putting it in.
- Only use ONE aftercare method.
If you have a concern or issue with your piercing, DO NOT REMOVE IT. Talk to your piercing artist to resolve the issue.
Recommended Aftercare Products and Directions:
H2Ocean is an enzymatic sea salt based product that is pH balanced for your skin. This sterile solution helps to reduce healing time. Safe for all skin types. Spray the solution directly on your piercing and allow to air dry. Apply as need – usually 3-6 applications each day.
This product is formulated to help heal and protect oral piercings. It is alcohol and fluoride free and is created with enzymes naturally found in your saliva. Use one cap full of rinse and swish thoroughly for 30 seconds then spit out. Use 2-3 times daily, or more often if you use tobacco products.
Optimal Non-iodized Saline Solution specially formulated to gently cleanse piercings and body modifications without damaging surrounding healthy tissue. Optimal Non-iodized Saline Solution specially formulated to gently cleanse piercings and body modifications without damaging surrounding healthy tissue. Wash your hands thoroughly prior to cleaning your piercing. Before use, spray a small amount in the air to test stream. Spray After Inked® Piercing Aftercare directly onto the pierced area